10 Years in Business - 2013
Dynamic Occupational Therapy Solutions – DOTS has been established since June 2003. Dynamic OT Solutions services children, parents and teachers in the Shoalhaven area. DOTS provides assessments, treatment and home programs for children experiencing difficulties at home and/or school. The clinic is based in Nowra, mobile services are also offered. Experienced occupational therapist Diane Lamont specializes in the assessment and treatment of children with learning difficulties, sensory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, behaviour difficulties and developmental delays.
Occupational therapists use a variety of therapeutic (school, self care and play) activities, carefully selected to improve the child’s sensory, physical, academic, social and emotional abilities.
Partnerships have been developed with local teachers, health professionals and tutors. Integrated programs are offered to those children who necessitate it.
Dynamic occupational therapy solutions aims to provide a comprehensive, flexible client centered service to our customers.
DOTS has developed strong positive links with local teachers and health professionals. DOTS has been working successfully with families and children 3-18 years old. We work with children with learning difficulties; autism spectrum disorder (ASD); attention deficit and developmental delay. DOTS specializes in the assessment and treatment of:
- Handwriting difficulties
- Fine and gross motor difficulties
- Sensory issues – Sensory Processing Disorder.
- Planning and organising difficulties – Dyspraxia
- Visual perceptual problems
- Problems with eye-hand coordination.
- Difficulties with play skills and behaviour.
Treatment programs are child and family centered. Each child has unique needs and every program is individualized to meet agreed upon goals. Clients are seen at the clinic or at school.
- Assessment sessions – with comprehensive report
- Review sessions and reports when requested
- Treatment sessions - Individual and small group
- Intensive Handwriting Groups – held in the school holidays
- Consultation - a short number of sessions to set up home programs and provide ideas for parents
- Small therapy group sessions at school
- Consultation with teachers, or attendance at meetings
- Parent Education sessions
Home therapy with therapy assistant.
DOTS is continually looking at improving their service and meeting the needs of their clients. DOTS endeavours to be flexible and to provide a range of therapy options. A number of new programs have been implemented recently:
School Readiness Program for preschoolers – This is a new program specifically for preschool children getting ready to attend primary school in 2011. The group will be run with a teacher. This group will aim to develop the skills needed for school, particularly cutting, prewriting, sitting and listening, gross motor skills and general play skills. The group will be run in the October school holidays.
If you are interested in this group please contact us.
Brain gym exercises —Tanya Heald has been providing individual instruction in ‘Brain Gym' to a number of students and classes at both Cambewarra and Illaroo Road schools.
Learn to Juggle – Is a new program that works your brain by using both hands together, practicing eye hand coordination & balance activities. This will enhance already existing programs.
SticKids — is a computer program that introduces the ‘Critter Meter' in the management of sensorimotor issues.
Equipment — New and interesting equipment is regularly purchased to ensure the children have a variety of activities to keep them interested in therapy. More gross motor and balance equipment has been purchased this term, along with sequencing and logic games.
Sound Therapy — A CD program has been purchased, and can be loaned for trial. This assists with auditory processing.
- Work Experience Students – DOTS has been involved with 2 work experience students and both boys were a great asset to the program.
- Teacher education – Illaroo Road and Cambewarra Public schools have both booked in education sessions on sensory integration dysfunction and helping children with learning difficulties.
In 2009 DOTS provided occupational therapy programs to 40 clients. 11 of these clients stopped part way through the program, for various reasons. 10% of clients were discharged when they reached all their goals. Out of the remaining clients – 65% of those achieved all their goals, and the other 35% achieved at least half of their goals. 5% of all of these clients achieved well beyond the goals set. The most successful clients are those that attended regularly (usually weekly) and those with parental involvement and who complete home activities.
A Happy Handwriting home program has been developed – booklets are available to purchase for Kindergarten; year 1. 2 and 3/4.
Home sensory and OT programs have been implemented in people’s homes after school.